Video and Slides
Outline: Introduction of ASTPP – A Smart TelePhony Platform
Samir Doshi, Open Source VoIP Expert, ASTPP Community Leader, Cofounder of iNextrix Technologies Pvt. LtdCo-Founder and Director, iNextrix Technologies
- What is ASTPP?
- What makes ASTPP a Smart TelePhony Platform?
- What is the Role of FreeSWITCH and OpenSIPs in Making ASTPP Highly Robust and Scalable?
- Why people love open source version of ASTPP smart VoIP telephony platform?
- Which are the common challenges each business faces?
- What is the Role of ASTPP in resolving challenges faced by businesses?
- What are the key features of ASTPP?
- How to deploy open source VoIP solution version of ASTPP?
- What are the major use cases of this smart VoIP telephony platform?
For more than 16 years, ASTPP caters to global VoIP businesses as an open source VoIP billing solution. Now it offers several other VoIP solutions, which hold smart features and functionalities. Some of the most popular VoIP solutions available as add-ons of ASTPP are:
- Multi tenant IP PBX solution
- Fax server solution
- Technical support ticket software
- Fraud detection solution
- DID and calling card management systems
To know more about ASTPP, you can visit https://www.astppbilling.org/.
You can ask Samir questions in the comments section of this weblog, or contact him directly, his info is in the presentation. Samir was unable to record his presentation at the start of the month due to contracting COVID, we’re happy he’s now well and able to give an excellent presentation.
Billing is one of those functions that catches many service providers by surprise. “We have a real-time usage dashboard, we can convert that into real-time billing easily.” Or, “we’ll do a monthly invoice based on the spreadsheet we can create for each customer’s usage.”
Soon new services, use cases, credits and discounts, product codes, and reporting appear requiring updates to the now legacy billing platform. The company starts to feel like it’s turned into a billing platform maintainer; where the biggest gate on the product roadmap is billing.
It’s surprising we’ve not seen more open source billing projects like ASTPP. Samir sets out some of the business challenges faced by many service providers:
- Non-availability of billing solution
- Ineffective business expansion
- Non-accurate client profiling
- Ineffective reseller management (wholesale and retail rates)
- Maintaining invoicing
- Complicated interface
- Difficulty in scalability
- Non-consolidated solution
- Non-mobilized platform
- Challenging 3rd party platform integration
Samir reviews how ASTPP addresses these business challenges, as well as how features can be added on, thanks to ASTPP’s modular design. For example, fax billing. Fax remains popular, and is challenging to bill satisfactorily. Hence a dedicated add-on.
Other add-ons include separating international call credits to limit exposure to potentially costly fraud, also fraud detection, alarms, personalized calling rates, account number ranges (handy for resellers), scheduled reporting, and integrations into 3rd party applications like mailchimp.
Samir runs through some of the deployments of ASTPP. Its a nice evolution of how a service provider may start with SIP trunking, then add multi-tenant IP PBX, and then interconnect as the business scales.
The scale of ASTPP surprised me, it supports 13 languages, and has 11k+ deployments across 95 countries. Please check out ASTPP.